On Monday, former European ministers in a letter to The Guardian, asked Europe to reject the US Middle East peace plan if it is not fair to the Palestinians.
The letter was signed by 25 former foreign ministers, six former Prime Ministers of the European countries, and two former Nato secretary generals – Willy Claes and Javier Solana.
Former European politicians have asked for a solution beneficial to both Israel and Palestine which includes Jerusalem as the common capital of both the countries. They have also asked to reject any other US Middle East Peace Plan that does not include the above mentioned points. The politicians in their letter also condemned US President Trump’s acknowledgment of “only one side’s claims to Jerusalem”.
The letter also said that the US has shown a biased attitude towards Israeli settlements on the west of the Jordan River and deducted hundreds of millions of dollars for the help of Palestinians was, “gambling with the security and stability of various countries located at Europe’s doorstep”.
From the time in between Trump becoming the US president and in receiving praise from the government of Israel, the policies of Trump can be seen as a punishment for Palestinians. The policies implemented are also curbing the success of Palestine and its effort with any other government from development.
Trump’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner and the US ambassador to Israel David Friedman are the brains behind the US Middle East peace plan. Friedman is a bankruptcy lawyer, who has always been outspoken about supporting Jewish settlements in the Palestinian territories.
Friedman while addressing to the Israel supporting advocacy group, American Israel Public Affairs Committee, last month in Washington, said that Trump was, “Israel’s greatest ally ever to reside in the White House.” At this juncture, they should impose the policies as the Trump Administration has finally realised that Israel can continue to have military control over the territories of Palestine.
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s Prime minister, prior to election polls said, if he wins the elections his prime objective will be to seize the settlements in the West Bank. This move will shatter all the hopes of rebuilding Palestine. When asked if his “friends” in the Trump administration knew about his plan, during an interview with domestic Israel National News website, Netanyahu replied “Sure”.
When inquired about the Netanyahu’s plans to occupy settlements, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said they would not harm the unrevealed peace plan, implying that the US scheme did not imagine Palestinian Settlement.
Pompeo said, “I think that the vision that we’ll lay out is going to represent a significant change from the model that’s been used.” The letter also said that Europe must “be vigilant and act strategically” when Trump introduces, the latest US Middle East peace plan.
The letter read, “[We] are convinced that a plan that reduces Palestinian statehood to an entity devoid of sovereignty, territorial contiguity and economic viability would severely compound the failure of previous peacemaking efforts, accelerate the demise of the two-state option and fatally damage the cause of a durable peace for Palestinians and Israelis alike.”
The letter also said, If not possible, “Europe must pursue its own course of action.”
The Middle East peace plan which is supposed to bring peace between Palestine and Israel should not be biased towards one country. It should be made considering the development of both countries.
While the former European higher authorities have asked the EU to remain alert and act accordingly as per the plan introduced, any disagreement between the EU and the US over the Middle East peace plan could further delay it, causing inconvenience to the people of Israel and Palestine.